Friday, September 23, 2011

We Now Pause For This Commercial Break...

I had some great toys when I was a kid and when I think back I realize that even the commercials for those toys were great. Here are some favorite toys I owned those many years ago...

The Outer Space Men from Colorforms. I only had a couple of these, but my cousin had them all.


Pressman's Witch Doctor Head Shrinker Kit. These were a lot of fun to paint, but waiting the full 24 hours for them to shrink was torture.


Mattel's Creepy Crawlers. This toy combined two things every 8 year old boy needed for fun, electricity and molten hot liquid Plastigoop. I still have scars.


I owned Johnny West, his trusty horse Thunderbolt and Geronimo.


I had ZOBOR and used to line up plastic toy soldiers for him to run down.


Mine was the Fighting Knights set...knights against vikings.


Major Matt's arms and legs could be bent into all kinds of great poses until his wires broke. "He lives on the moon. We may all be there soon."


Even cereal commercials were great way back when. Quisp was definitely better!


Combining sugary sweet cereal with toys was pure marketing genius.




3 comments:

Bill White said...

ALL great toys! How I loved my Marx Ft. Apache and NASA playsets. Not to mention Johnny West, Major Matt Mason and Creepy Crawlers. I even had a Plastigoop set with the Peanuts characters.

It was a great time to be a kid...

Jeff P said...

David, thanks so much for posting these! All great memories from my young years.

A question: the toy showcase in the Jantze interview---is that his or yours?

David said...

Hey Jeff,

Glad you enjoyed them.

The toy showcase is Michael's. If you click on the picture you can see some of the film projectors that he answered he collects mixed in.