Monday, October 18, 2010

Mattias Adolfsson - Cartoonist/Artist Survey #178

Click on the drawings to see more detail.




Mattias Adolfsson is a freelance illustrator from Sweden. He earned a Master’s of Fine Arts in graphic design at HDK School of Arts and Crafts, Gothenburg. After he graduated in 1995, he worked for a small game company called Tati creating 3D animation. Mattias then worked at Dice (now a part of Electronic Arts) and a company called Simbin before getting bored with the games industry and deciding to become a freelance illustrator. In 2006 he started his Mattias Inks sketch blog where he posts his pen and ink drawings of subjects including sketches from life, architectural fantasies, animals, robots and much more. Now a full-time freelance illustrator, his work has been exhibited throughout the world. Mattias lives just outside of Stockholm in Sigtuna with his wife (also an illustrator) and their two children. Visit his website here and be sure to set aside some time to go through his blog and see his wonderful drawings.

What is your favorite pen to use?
Namiki Falcon fountain pen with a fine nib.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I used to go without but for saving time I do some quick rough lines and with a mechanical one.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
By hand, haven't got the handle on the digital stuff.

If you do your coloring by hand, what do you use?
Watercolors.

What type of paper do you use?
I use watercolor paper form Saunders and Waterford 300 gr satin.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
I tend to go in person when shopping for paper, when buying sketchbooks I use the web though.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
No rituals, I have almost no starting time.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
Yes, but almost as much to online courses. When it comes to music it's everything from Zappa to modern electronica.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
Yes I did, Tintin was the big favorite.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
If I had to choose one I would have to go for Snoopy (I just read the Schulz biography and that made me re-find it).

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
I read the Lord of the Rings very early and I still have it.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
I have a masters of fine arts from HDK in Gothenburg.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
For me it has been a blessing, there is no way I would have reached as far as I have without it.

Did either of your parents draw?
Yes my mother is/was an Illustrator, my father came from a very poor upbringing but he had great skills (he never had the possibility to develop it though).

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
My mother.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
Yes constantly, I feel half dressed without it.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
No but I have taught digital medias (3d modeling and 3d animation).

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
I think both ways work; for me it was hard work.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
No, I'm a lousy consumer.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
Mr. Potato Head.

Are you a righty or lefty?
I'm a righty and proud of it.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
I would like to have been a scientist.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
Tidy, not so tidy, catastrophic, tidy, not so tidy, catastrophic...repeat.

Do you play any musical instruments?
No unfortunately.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Draw, draw, draw and be prepared for some starving in the beginning.

Who is your favorite artist?

I love Caravaggio.


Thanks again Mattias!

Leigh Rubin of the syndicated Rubes Cartoons is up next.

No comments: