Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Michael Nobbs - Cartoonist/Artist Survey #153

Full-time artist Michael Nobbs was born in Surrey, England in 1967. He moved to the west coast of Wales when he was 24. Being diagnosed with ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) in 1995, he had to stop working and became bedridden. It took a few years, but Michael slowly regained his strength and enrolled in a drawing class. He started making small drawings and blogging about them which proved to be very therapeutic. In 2000 he started a more formal art training which resulted in earning a MA in Fine Art from the School of Art, Aberystwyth University. Michael is the author of The Beany, a regularly published illustrated journal of his life, as well as his 75 Ways to Draw More and Start to Draw Your Life booklets Both of the booklets are free to download and are available as free e-books. He regularly records AudioBoo micro-podcasts that cover things he’s learning about working as an artist online and sends out his a microMagazine, Getting Your Important Work Done, every couple of weeks. His latest book, 'Sustainable Creativity' is due out later this year. Checkout Michael’s website and his blog. Be sure and view his recent set of drawings up on Flickr.

What is your favorite pen to use?
Rotring Art Pen (though I also use a Lamy Safari a lot, and increasingly a very old Wacom tablet).

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
No.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
Computer.

What type of paper do you use?
If I'm drawing on paper first, I usually use a Moleskine sketchbook and then scan the drawing. If I'm working on my computer I print out on heavyweight inkjet paper and often work more in ink on that.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
I only draw what I want to draw.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
I used to spend a lot of money on pens and paper, and still love to wonder around stationers drooling over supplies, but these days I use very little as I mostly work on my computer. I tend to keep my pen buying habits in check by order what I need online.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
Make a pot of tea.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
I like to listen to radio drama, mostly on BBC Radio 7.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
I used to love a comic called Cheeky Weekly. I recently covered my studio floor with old copies I found in eBay. It looks great and brought back a lot of happy memories.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
I also loved DC comics, especially Wonder Woman and Superman.


What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
'Five Go on a Hike Together' - Yes.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
I began drawing classes quite late in life in 2000, after being diagnosed with ME/CFS. I went on to study for an MA in Fine Art.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
A blessing.

Did either of your parents draw?
No.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
A good friend in my first drawing class. Without her encouragement I probably wouldn't have persevered.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
No.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
Yes and yes.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
Neither. Perseverance.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
No.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
As much as I dislike the Disney version, I'd probably be Winnie the Pooh.

Are you a righty or lefty?
Righty.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
Professional tea drinker.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
The everyday and ordinary.

Do you play any musical instruments?
No. I used to play the trombone and have often had a hankering to play the clarinet.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Pick up a pen and draw and keep drawing.

Who is your favorite artist?
I can't pick one. Danny Gregory and Dan Price had a big influence on my starting to draw. David Hockney always inspires me. Ronald Searle likewise. I love Keri Smith's work. I could go on (and on), but it's probably time for a cup of tea...

Thank you Michael.

Next time on David Wasting Paper is John Porcellino, creator of King-Cat Comics.

2 comments:

paper said...

You have great drawings on those papers. Keep it up.

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

You reminded me--it's 6:41am and I haven't brewed a pot of tea yet! Reading this has made me want to draw. Haven't done any drawing in years (decades), but this is inspiring. Of course, I would do it the old-fashioned way, pencil and paper and no computer. Simply because I am such a low-tech person, I wouldn't know how to begin.