Sunday, December 6, 2009

Reynold Kissling - Cartoonist Survey #12

I first read Reynold Kissling's comic, "Kingwood Himself" at the suggestion of a friend and immediately became a fan. Great art with clean lines and a dreamlike story. Check him out at; http://www.reynoldbot.com/. You can read "Kingwood Himself here; http://www.topshelfcomix.com/ts2.0/artist/361.

What is your favorite pen to use?
I mostly use a Winsor & Newton Series 7 Number 2 sable brush. And by mostly I mean almost exclusively. I use Copic Multiliners for lettering (nibs don't work well for us lefties) and a Rapidograph for panel borders.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I use a standard non-photo blue Staedtler pencil. It makes the drawing all purty.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
I use my hands to color my pages on the computer using PhotoShop.

What type of paper do you use?
I usually use Strathmore 400 series paper, and I regularly switch between vellum and smooth depending on the project.

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
I've had the hardest time drawing cars. For some reason they still turn out looking the same as when I was twelve. I also hate drawing the same thing twice. That's probably why I'm not an animator. Next question.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
I usually go to the Art Cellar, which is located in the basement of my Alma mater, the Minneapolis College of Art and Design.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
Besides all the hours of procrastination, nervous sweating and animal sacrifices, no, I do not engage in any rituals before I start drawing.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
I do listen to music to distract myself from the ever-present sense of self-doubt while I'm drawing. Instrumental music works best. Right now it's a lot of Phillip Glass and Air and Yellow Magic Orchestra.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
I read lots of comic strips and Spider-man. My therapist recommends that I come clean and tell you I used to really like Garfield. I'm much happier to tell you that my favorite is and always has been Calvin and Hobbes.

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
Uh, next question. Oh wait, I can tell you some of my other favorites too. Little Nemo, The Far Side, Dilbert, Krazy Kat, and Bloom County are all not my favorite comic strip.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
My favorite book was Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, and yes I still have it. Now that I think about it however, I'm pretty sure I was terrified of that book. That tomato tornado was really scary.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
I received my bachelors in Comic Art from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. The diploma is buried somewhere underneath a bunch of crap on my art desk. So I would say that I'm getting good use out of it.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
That's a dilly of a pickle there. Except that it's totally a blessing, because you can watch that video where the baby panda sneezes like as many times as you want. Duh.

Did either of your parents draw?
My dad draws poorly but with great enthusiasm. I think he's got the edge on me.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
My massive ego of course.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
Yeah but I almost never draw in it. MCAD killed my desire to do sketches of any kind.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
I taught a high school class a few years ago, and while I thought I did a great job the work they gave me was just awful. Seriously, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
Passion can make up for a lack of talent better than talent makes up for a lack of passion. But networking is ultimately way more important than either of those.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
I'm a movie buff, but I like awesome movies like Independence Day and Starship Troopers.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
Probably one of those godawful Hanna-Barbera characters that everybody hates. Like Top Cat.

Are you a righty or lefty?
I'm a lefty. Jealous?

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
I also play music, though it can hardly be called work.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
I draw at my dining room table, which happens to be a 50's era chrome and vinyl seafoam green affair. There's lots of irrelevant stuff on that table, like mail and pay stubs and pliers and whatever else.

Do you play any musical instruments?
Jeez what's with me getting the jump on all your questions? I'm a good bass player, a mediocre guitar player, and a god-awful keyboard player.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Don't be afraid to pimp your shit. Get tables at conventions, show your work to publishers, talk to the artists, and plug your books at literally every opportunity, whether it's relevant or not. You can
find my work at
http://www.reynoldbot.com/ by the way.

Who is your favorite artist?
Gotta go with Bill Watterson. I wouldn't be where I am if it weren't for him. I'd probably be a doctor or lawyer or rich banker or something like that.

Thanks very much Reynold.

Tomorrow I will be posting answers from Dave Coverly, the creator of the hilarious cartoon, "Speed Bump".

Are you a cartoonist and want to be featured here at David Wasting Paper? Just send me a note at dmp1234@yahoo.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a brilliant and talented young man.