Saturday, December 5, 2009

Bob Camp - Cartoonist Survey #11

Bob Camp, cartoonist, illustrator, writer and animation director is our next victim. He truly is a multifaceted artist with work in all forms of media including print, television and film. Check out his blog for some great drawings and drawing tips. http://bobcampcartoonist.blogspot.com/

What is your favorite pen to use?
Medium ballpoint, black.

Do you draw in pencil first and if so do you use a standard pencil or a mechanical one?
I change all the time. Usually soft 4B Tombow but will use whatever is handy. Sometimes I use a mechanical pencil if I am doing thumbnails or tiny layouts.

Do you do your coloring by hand or on the computer?
Computer these days. Laziness mostly.

If you do your coloring by hand, what do you use?
I like to paint with cell paint. Acrylic too. Haven't done it in a long time though. I used to use pastels and Doc Martins a lot too.

What type of paper do you use?
I have a lot of animation paper I've stolen from jobs over the years. Bristol board for illustration. Vellum is nice!

What thing(s) do you hate to draw?
Things that require me to use straight edges and such. Like buildings and such. that's why I did Conan. No straight edges.

Do you buy your supplies from big chain art store catalogues/websites or a local one that you physically go to?
I rarely buy supplies. I have friends that run an art school and I buy stuff from them. Then there is always the (cough) free stuff when you work in a studio, although they mostly are fully digital these days.

Are there any rituals that you do before starting to draw?
Ha! Yeah I slay a goat and pray to the goddess of late deadlines.

Do you listen to music while you draw and if so what genre?
Yes, with headphones. I like a very eclectic mix. Most popular music sucks hard.

Did you read comics as a kid and if so what was your favorite?
No. I got into comics as a way of eating and paying rent. I read Mad almost exclusively. Lampoon too. Here's an addendum that Bob sent on this question;
I thought about the comics I read as a kid question. When I was 12 my brother ran a head shop which I hung out in all the time. I read all the undergrounds I could get my hands on! Zap, LeatherNun, Air Pirates, Captian Pissgums, The Furry Freak Brothers, R. Crumb. This explains a lot!

What is or was your favorite comic strip?
When I was a kid I loved Pogo, Lil' Abner, Peanuts, Little Nemo, Calvin and Hobbes is one of the best ever.

What was your favorite book as a child and do you still own a copy of it?
Anything by Seuss. I lost almost all of my books in a fire.

Did you have any formal art training and if so where did you receive it?
I took art in college but the teachers sucked so I switched to film. I studied painting with the great Tom Moore on Cape Cod during the early 80s. I'm mostly self taught and learned a lot on the job.

Do you feel that the Internet is a blessing or a curse?
Like everything it has good and bad aspects. it's distracting for sure but it's awesome for reference.

Did either of your parents draw?
No, but my dad was an engineer in the military aircraft industry.

Who in your life is/was the most supportive of your art?
My mom.

Do you keep a sketchbook?
Nah, I draw all day every day for a living and rarely do it for fun any more.

Have you ever taught cartooning/drawing and if so did you enjoy the experience?
Yes I have a lot and I really enjoy it.

Do you feel that talent or passion is more important in drawing?
Both but passion can get you in trouble sometimes. Desire is very important.

Do you collect anything and if so what?
Not any more. I used to collect lots of all kinds of cool shit but after you lose stuff like that you kind of stop. I used to collect old cars.

If you were an animated cartoon character who do you think you would be?
I am an animated cartoon character.

Are you a righty or lefty?
Right.

If you weren't an artist what would you want to do for work?
I love to write almost more than drawing.

In one or two sentences describe your drawing area.
A big pile of crap that is always spreading out until it covers every surface for miles around.

Do you play any musical instruments?
Harmonica badly.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone who wants to pursue drawing as a career what would it be?
Do it because you love it and want to do it! Try everything. Be a Sponge!

Who is your favorite artist?
Moebius

Thank you very much Bob!

Next up will be Reynold Kissling, so check back tomorrow.

No comments: