Sunday, July 27, 2008

More Schulz








These are some more sketches that I did based on Charles Schulz's Peanuts. They are from the early years of Peanuts when they were much more child-like in appearance. Some great examples of his early work are included in this book,
recommend to anyone who grew up reading the Charlie Brown comic strips.
One of the greatest joys in grade school was going through the order form magazine from the Scholastic Book Club. I would agonize for hours over which two or three books to order. It seemed like when the box arrived on the teacher's desk, and she passed out my stack of books with the order sheet wrapped around them with a big elastic band, there would always be at least one Charlie Brown book in the pile.
This was around the same time that I remember my parents taking me to the Drive-In to see, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown." I believe it was either 1969 or 1970. That was back when everyone brought their kids to the Drive-In movies decked out in their PJ's. All of us would run up to the grassy area in front of the screen and play on the swings, slide, see-saw or that heavy metal and wood contraption that we would get spinning at a breakneck speed before we would jump on to it. Back then people weren't afraid that their kids would be taken away by some sicko. I really miss the Drive-In!

No comments: